Re: SQL*Plus in readonly mode & Performance documentation

From: Tom Connolly,, <connolly_at_feydeau.laas.fr>
Date: 31 Jan 93 12:14:06 GMT

Chris Little writes:

>I am looking for a way to prevent certain Oracle users from accessing
>the database using SQL*Plus, or perhaps they could use SQL*Plus, but
>in readonly mode. Is there a way to do this?
>
>On another issue, I'm looking for documentation that encapsulates all
>performance related topics that should be addressed by a DBA. I find
>these topics to be quite "scattered" throughout the DBA Guide and wonder
>if anybody has a single document on performance.

You can keep users out of Oracle simply by not giving them an account to get in to Oracle in the first place. If you select username from sys.dba_users you can see who has access - you can then "revoke connect" from anyone you want left out.

The type of access a user has is specified on a per object basis - ie. each object in the database has an owner who normally has full access to the object (table view, index,...) and anyone else must be given access via the grant command. There are many different types of access allowed (update, readonly, delete,...).

The performance tuning issues for a DBA have been placed in the "Performance Tuning Guide" (imagine that). Much of it is a repeat of the DBA guide, but it's all in one place as you requested.

Tom Connolly

e-mail: connolly_at_udel.edu Received on Sun Jan 31 1993 - 13:14:06 CET

Original text of this message