Re: SQL*Plus in readonly mode & Performance documentation

From: Daniel Druker <ddruker_at_agsm.ucla.edu>
Date: 29 Jan 93 15:31:47 PST

In article <1993Jan29.102255.1_at_jaguar.uofs.edu> littlec1_at_jaguar.uofs.edu (Chris Little) writes:

>I am looking for a way to prevent certain Oracle users from accessing
>the database using SQL*Plus, or perhaps they could use SQL*Plus, but
>in readonly mode. Is there a way to do this?
>
>On another issue, I'm looking for documentation that encapsulates all
>performance related topics that should be addressed by a DBA. I find
>these topics to be quite "scattered" throughout the DBA Guide and wonder
>if anybody has a single document on performance.
>
>Please e-mail me directly. Thank you in advance for your help.
>
>--
>Chris Little, Programmer/DBA University Computing Systems
> University of Scranton
> LITTLEC1_at_JAGUAR.UOFS.EDU Scranton, PA 18510

Check out the PRODUCT_USER_PROFILE table described, I think, in the DBA guide. This table contains a list of users, applications, and allowable functions from within applications.

You can also use file system permissions to prevent the use of SQL*PLus, or you can front the executable with an intelligent shell script.

Finally, If you want users to be able to select only, this is easily done with database permissions. Grant them connect privilege only in V6, or the corresponding privs in V7 so they can't create objects. Grant them SELECT on the tables you wish, but not INSERT, UPDATE, etc...

In V7 you may also be able to use database ROLES to implement this type of functionality.

Good Luck,

  • Dan

Daniel Druker
Anderson Graduate School of Management at UCLA

| Dan Druker                                                               |
| agsm mail 	: ddruker                                                  |
| internet 	: ddruker_at_agsm.ucla.edu                                    |
| oracle*mail	: unix:ddruker_at_agsm.ucla.edu                               |

Disclaimer: None. I'm a student now and I don't care what you think. Received on Sat Jan 30 1993 - 00:31:47 CET

Original text of this message