Locking under Forms 3.0

From: Sven Doering <doering_at_matisse.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de>
Date: 26 Jan 1993 10:10:58 GMT

The default locking in SQL*Forms 3.0 (if you make an query with FOR_UPDATE option), the record is locked, when you change its value. When the record is already locked, you get the message :
Attempt to preserve record for update or delete. Press CONTROL-C to cancel...

Is it possible to avoid this message and then giving the user a message without waiting for the CTRL-C. In my own programs I can make a Lock with NOWAIT option and then I get an error, if the lock is used by another process, but a simple Select in Forms does never make any locks, even if I made an explicit lock statement.

The other way is never to lock anything and always get the message : Record updated by another user, plese requery.

Is there any use of the ON-LOCK-Trigger? Is it possible to make an explicit lock (e.g. row exclusive) at the time of the query ?
How can I lock other tables which contains references on the current visible data and must be updated/deleted with the current record ?

If you have solved this problems please mail me your solution to :

hannes%tuatara_at_Germany.EU.net

Thanks Received on Tue Jan 26 1993 - 11:10:58 CET

Original text of this message