Structured datatypes in Oracle ?

From: Anders S Johansson <asjohans_at_aut.abb.se>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1993 13:50:51 GMT

I have ran into a problem which cannot be handled automatically by the Oracle Data Base.

The problem I have is that I want to store user defined data types in Oracle tables.
The data types can be arrays, unions or structs. The compination of the data types can be unlimited.

Example (C'ish-style):

typedef struct S1
{

  NUMBER a;
  CHAR b
}

typedef Array A1 of S1[100]

typedef S2
{

  S1 aa;
  A1 bb;
  NUMBER cc;
}

Attributes with the data type S2 shall be stored in Oracle in some way.

The immediate solution I have is to split the data type in several tables with references between them.

Has anyone been dealing with similar problems, please contact me.

/Anders Johansson
 Lulea, Sweden.
 asjohans%abbaut_at_mail.swip.net Received on Mon Jan 25 1993 - 14:50:51 CET

Original text of this message