Re: Export/Import to tape?

From: Jeff Stander <jstander_at_ml.csiro.au>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1993 22:39:32 GMT

In article 1902_at_spectrum.xerox.com, rdutc_at_sarek.xerox (Ray Dutcher) writes:
> Compressing the export through a named pipe worked great and I did the
> reverse fine without any loss of data. I also did this with success on
> data files (ie. a physical backup). Thanks for the info. Just to
> check I called Oracle Support to see if they were familiar with this
> technique and they said that they know of customers who do this but
> they know that some customers have experienced a loss of data when
> using the UNIX compress/uncompress command and that Oracle will not
> support this technique. I also used compress in the past on exports to
> transfer a database to another machine over my network and also had
> zero problems.>

> Before I put this technique into a production system I would like to
> know if anyone has experienced the "data loss" that Oracle Support
> mentioned? and if so please state your Oracle version and OS when
> replying.

> FYI, here's the technique I'm referring to:
> (1) Compressing export to disk

>	mknod ora_export.dmp p
>	nohup compress < ora_export.dmp > ora_export.dmp.Z &
>	exp / ...... file=ora_export.dmp
>
>	This lets you compress on the fly without using any disk (well,
>	you will use 4 disk blocks or the size of a pipe).

I have used this technique for years and have not experienced any data losses with UNIX compress.

---

Jeff.Stander_at_ml.csiro.au        _--_|\        Database Analyst
CISRO Division Of Fisheries    /      \       Pelagic Fisheries Resources
GPO Box 1538, Hobart           \_.--._/       Tasmania 7001, Australia
Aus Tel: 002-206-206                 v        Intl Tel: +61-02-206-206
Aus Fax: 002-240-530                          Intl Fax: +61-02-240-530