Re: Oracle CASE training question

From: Michael Friedman <mfriedma_at_uucp>
Date: 21 Jan 93 17:42:50 GMT

In article <1993Jan20.170412.21433_at_Arco.COM> kmelcher_at_rafael.Arco.COM writes:
>We are considering sending some DBA's to training for Oracle CASE. I have
>seen the current Oracle training schedule, which lists several CASE classes.
>I am wondering whether it is really necessary to have taken any of the CASE methods
>courses listed as prerequisites before taking "Implement Systems Analysis and Design
>Using CASE Tools", which appears to be the first course in the series in which you
>actually lay your hands on the CASE tools.

>Has anyone out there been through the CASE training series, and if so, can you offer some advice on the bare minimum training required to use the tools.

>Thanks in advance,

The bare minimum training is 0. The manual is decent once you learn your way arround it and the forms are pretty self explanatory.

The question you have to ask yourself, however, is whether you are willing to have people with the bare minimum of training making design decisions about a system that you will probably have to live with for several years, at least.

My own personal opinion is that if you want the bare minimum, send your people to the high level CASE courses and let them pick up the tool on their own. Setting up functions and entities and drawing ER diagrams is something you can figure out how to do even without the course. The tough part is figuring out which entities and functions to create. That's what the high level courses teach.

I am not an official Oracle spokesman.  I speak for myself and no one else.