General Oracle FAQ Proposal

From: David Bath <dtb_at_otto>
Date: 15 Jan 93 13:46:08 GMT

Hi Folks,

I have seen a DBA FAQ here and am wondering if there are others in existence or being developed.

If not, I am willing to help develop some areas. I have been playing with Oracle, mainly on UNIX, but also under VMS, MS-DOS, Primos and GCOS since version 4.1.13 (albeit with occasional time out on Ingres), so I believe I am qualified. My particular interests are in using Oracle with UNIX and with Pro*C.

Ok, so I am wanting to hear from those of you regarding

  1. Should there be 1 FAQ or a number ? plus, forms, menu, etc
  2. Which product versions should be covered ?
  3. What you think categories should be
  4. Questions (and possibly answers)
  5. Offers to help.
  6. Tips or code you think are useful even if they do not qualify as an FAQ.

It would be handy to have some idea of the platforms and products you are using at your site, reviews of third party products, etc. Not only would this be useful for planning the contents of the FAQ, but for me to prepare some code I intend to release on the net. (Unfortunately, a lot of the code I write is owned by the company I work for, I am sure you will understand. Nevertheless they agree that some things can be released.) With some idea of the audience, I will be able to better judge how much effort I should put into making the code portable.

I would also like to get some response as to the need for the following utilities so I can tidy them up in an appropriate order. (These are all UNIX specific I am afraid)

  1. Sqlplus automatically detects whether it is attached to a terminal or not and sets pause appropriately. Pagesize and linesize are set according to the terminal. These and other settings can be overriden by environment variables or a ${HOME}/.sqlplusrc file.
  2. Utility to assign default Oracle SIDs based on user id and or group.
  3. Ability to run a "getenv" inside sqlplus to create an sqlplus variable. e.g. SQL> start $ORACLE_HOME/local/plus/getenv HOME SQL> select * from directories 2> where dirname='&&HOME';

In deference to the excellent DBA FAQ, I believe that should remain in the current capable hands.

While any comments by people working for Oracle are welcome, I do not think it appropriate for the FAQs to be co-ordinated by them. I believe that the FAQs should express independent thought without fear or favor.

I apologize in advance for the lack of speed in replies to you. As I spend a fair bit of time as a roving consultant or teaching, I can be offline for a week or two. For this reason also, mail me rather than post back to the newsgroup.

Regards,
David

David T. Bath Email:dtb_at_otto.bf.rmit.oz.au Phone:03-3477511 Global Technology Corporation, 179 Grattan St, CARLTON, VIC, 3153, AUSTRALIA
"Failure to emulate is the best revenge" - Marcus Aurelius