Help: With setting up initora-parameters & configuration of database server

From: Bimal Dey <euabim_at_eua.ericsson.se>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1993 15:11:33 GMT

Hello Netters!

We have some problem deciding what initora-parameters we have to use, how to configure the Oracle-server and how much memory the server required to meet the following requirements:

In few weeks we are going to take an administrative system in production. The Timecard system is built with the Oracle's 4GL-tools (SQL*Forms3.0, SQL*Menu5.0, SQL*ReportWriter, Pro*C etc.). The system will be used by around 1200 users and everyone has a Sun on his/her desk and the Sun-clients are dedicated to different SUN bootserver in a network.

This Timecard system is special in a way that most of the users are going to run on monday morning. We estimate the number of simultaneous users will be around 400.

The machine, we are using today as Oracle-server, is a Sun-490 with 32 MB internal memory. This machine is serving today around 100 users. They are running different administrative systems built with Oracle's 4GL.

Now some information about the Timecard system - the form that most users are going to work with uses mainly 5 tables where 3 of them are just for selecting data purpose. One of the table is going to increase with approximately 8000 rows/week and the other with appr. 1200 rows/week.

I am not sure that the above scenario is clear enough, if more information needed to give any light on the above problem I will be delighted to answer.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion/advice/help.

E-mail prefered.
/Bimal Dey

! ! !
! Bimal Dey ! ELLEMTEL Telecommunication Systems Lab. !
! System Analyst & Developer ! Box - 1505 !
! ! S-125 25 AELVSJOE !
! Administrative System Support ! S W E D E N !

! ! !
! Voice: +46 8 727 36 43 ! Snailmail: 221:079 !
! Fax : +46 8 647 82 76 ! Email : Bimal.Dey_at_eua.ericsson.se !
! Telex: +54 812452 EUA S ! Memo : eua.euabim !