Re: Storing images in oracle

From: Andy Finkenstadt <andy_at_homebase.vistachrome.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1993 17:16:18 GMT

neil_at_kynug.org writes:
>Version 6.0.30 of Oracle has a limit of 65,000+ characters for the long
>raw datatype.
>I talked to an Oracle technical representative and he reported that
>version 7 of the database engine has a limit of 2GB for the long raw
>datatype. (Those guys must have written some code)
>So, my options are to either wait until Oracle 7 is released or store the
>images elsewhere and manage them through Pro*C.

Other alternatives include segmenting your LONG RAW data into segments of 32K and using a dedicated table which holds each segment. You still have to manage these segments to recombine them in Pro*C but at least you don't have to worry about external file storage and how to take an image snapshot of your database including externals.

-Andy

--
Andrew Finkenstadt, Vista-Chrome, Inc., Homes & Land Publishing Corporation
GEnie Unix RoundTable Manager, andy_at_vistachrome.com, andy_at_genie.geis.com.

"[The author] neither accidentally nor intentionally omits or includes
anything that could support a preconceived thesis." - C&EN 21-DEC-92 p.72