Re: shutdown on SGI

From: Ian Dixon <idixon_at_infocom.UUCP>
Date: 7 Jan 93 22:55:36 GMT

Joe Fulson-Woytek (joefw_at_eosdev1.gsfc.nasa.gov) wrote:
> Has anyone else seen and/or have suggestions for avoiding the following
> problem?: We are running Oracle on an SGI under IRIX 4.0. When we try to
> shutdown oracle while a process is running sqlplus, the shutdown
> procedure halts. We would prefer the shutdown to continue without caring
> if someone is currently connected. Any suggestions?

I dont recognize the machine that you're running on but assuming that you're running Oracle 6 and using SQLDBA then the question is : Are you entering SHUTDOWN or SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE ?
A straight SHUTDOWN will wait for any sessions currently going to complete whereas the IMMEDIATE normally causes Oracle to stop. I say normally because it hasnt always worked for me.

Hope this helps

Regards

Ian Received on Thu Jan 07 1993 - 23:55:36 CET

Original text of this message