A big table or several small tables?

From: <wliu_at_memstvx1.memst.edu>
Date: 21 Dec 92 15:56:23 -0600

Hi,
I'm working on a project and use ORACLE(RDBMS6.0.36, SQL*FORM 3.0, SQL*FORM 3.0) on a SUN Sparc Station. As a new comer, I need your help.

SCENARIO: I have created 53 tables. These tables can be divided into 3 categorieds:

  1. 20 Look-Up tables, which have 2-3 columns and less than 20 rows.
  2. 27 normal tables, which have 10-15 columns and can have 2000 rows.
  3. 6 big tables, which have 50-60 column and can have 4000 rows.

QUESTIONS:

  1. To increase the speed of query and insert, do I have to divide every big table into 2-3 smaller tables which may have about 20 columns?
  2. I will put unique index on most of the tables. When make a join query between the Look-Up table and rest of the tables, does the index of Look-Up table or the its position in the query statement make big different regarding the query optimization?

Thand you very much. Received on Mon Dec 21 1992 - 22:56:23 CET

Original text of this message