Re: SQL*Net Named Pipes Problem

From: Richard H. E. Eiger <rheiger_at_renext.eiger.olivetti.ch>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1992 09:15:42 GMT

In article <1992Dec12.011829.2022_at_osnbe.Olivetti.ch> I wrote:
> The PCs in our environment are connected to the LAN through LanManager over
 the
> OSI TopNetBIOS protocol and a UNIX V.4 (Olivetti release 2.1.1) server. On
 the
> server we have ORACLE 6.0.31 and nmpsrv Version 1.0.0.1.2 - Production
 running.
> On the clients we have sqlnmp Version 1.0.0.0, DOS 5 and Win3.1. Our
> applications use the Gupta SQLWindows product.
>
> We observe the following problem. Occasionally we get the error "Invalid
> Hoststring" when trying to connect to the database
 [deleted]
>when we launch sqlplus for the fifth time we get
> the error number 658 (I think) which does not exist in the Oracle error
> manuals.

I have now learned that in a newer release of the sqlnmp (1.1.1.1) this should no longer occur. Unfortunately we have not yet been able to test this because we get the error "No named pipe available". Does anyone know whether we have to upgrade the nmpsrv on the server as well?

--

   /   )  /  /   /        Richard H. E. Eiger