Re: SQL*Net IP interface

From: William Thompson, code 682.1, x2040 <thompson_at_stars.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1992 13:31:00 GMT

In article <3000_at_uswnvg.uswnvg.com>, cjackso_at_uswnvg.com (Clay Jackson) writes...
>Not that I'm an expert in Oracle license agreements, particularly those
>with the Feds (and, I suspect that you'll probably be able to get at least
>two divergent opinions from Oracle, depending on who you ask); but, it's
>my understanding that Oracle is normally licensed by the total number of
>USERS, no matter how they connect. As far as multiple copies of
>SQL*NET are concerned, at least on Unix, the SQL*NET "interface" is linked
>into both the tools (including the PRO*<language of your choice> runtime
>libraries and the RDBMS "kernel" at INSTALL time. At runtime, you should
>only need ONE "server process" per SERVER. The tools on each client
>(including whatever code you develop in 3GLs) only need to be linked with
>the correct libraries (which you would presumably do on the one machine).

I'm not an expert either, but I believe you do have to pay a license for SQL*NET on each machine you want as a client, the cost of which will depend on the total number of users that can connect to the server from that client. You probably also have to pay at least for a runtime license for each client machine for any front end products you use, such as SQL*forms, and the price of that will also be tied to the number of users on each machine.

Some software packages come with "floating" licenses that can be shared by several machines. For instance, if you bought three floating licenses for a product, then at any one time three people could use it all from one node, or from three separate nodes (or any combination). Sometimes the machines have to be binary compatible, and sometimes they don't. This can help save money when a product is used by a number of people spread out over a bunch of machines, but where a typical user only runs the software occasionally. I don't know if Oracle has such a licensing scheme or not, but I don't think so.

If I'm wrong in anything I said, I'd be happy to be corrected by an Oracle spokesman.

Bill Thompson Received on Thu Dec 17 1992 - 14:31:00 CET

Original text of this message