SQL*Net IP interface

From: InterNet News <news_at_hrd769.brooks.af.mil>
Date: 14 Dec 1992 12:12:48 -0600

  We are interested in several projects which require programs to have direct access to data on our Vax to produce datafiles and graphs for use in several different formats, and to be able to have the programs 'converse' with the Vax's Oracle instances. We have already determined that there are several products that will a) give us real pretty graphs that we can never us again, and b) give us real neat flat ASCII/formatted files that we can suck into PC applications.
  I want to make my graph program smarter than that. I want to be able to query a database, and based on the data there, query other tables in this (or other) databases. The key here is the kind of flexibility that the 'canned' approaches do not really give us.

  "So what is it you want?" you may well ask.

  I want to know about the hand-shaking that happens at the SQL*Net socket level. I can open socket 1525 from my PC and Unix programs, and read and write to it. The reason I want this is to avoid spending a lot of YOUR money buying 3000 copies of SQL*Net and associated software.

  Of course, if you would rather have us spend MILLIONS and MILLIONS of your tax dollars, no doubt increasing the National Debt and ultimately cause ruin for the American Economic System, we will buy those products.

 (just kidding...)

  Is there an FTPable document that describes the various posers and responses at the socket level, I would appreciate hearing about it.

TSgt Dave Burgess
NCOIC, AL/Management Information Systems office Brooks AFB, TX Received on Mon Dec 14 1992 - 19:12:48 CET

Original text of this message