Re: SQR and SQR Gossip

From: John De Vries <jad_at_beta.lanl.gov>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1992 16:16:56 GMT

jlove_at_ivrit.ra.itd.umich.edu (Jack Love) writes:
>mickel_at_OES.ORST.EDU (Paul M. Mickel) writes:
>>my understanding is that they are now a division of Sybase. at least, that was
>>what the tech people told us last time we called them for support.....
>
>This agrees with my recollection. Since Sybase and Oracle are
>supposedly bitter enemies, this leads to questions about whether
>and how well SQR for Oracle will be supported.

True enough that one should be concerned, but I've got a letter here dated August 17th from Greg Olson who is VP/Strategic Planning of Sybase that says:

     In keeping with its open systems approach, Sybase will continue
     to sell and support the SQL Solutions products that interface to
     non-Sybase databases such as Oracle, Informix, Ingres, Rdb and
     SQL Base.

     If you have any questions please feel free to call Steve Hershberg,
     Product Margeting Manager at (617) 238-6110.  Steve's E-Mail
     address is sdh_at_sybase.com.

I had also read in a note on this newsgroup that:

     <someone> talked to M.J.Kahn the product manager for SQR at SQL
     Solutions.  She said that greater than 50% of the SQR revenue
     is from Oracle users, and it would not make good sense to throw
     that away.

So, I dunno... mebbe things will be cool, mebbe no.

J. deVries
jad_at_lanl.gov Received on Fri Dec 11 1992 - 17:16:56 CET

Original text of this message