Re: Oracle's 'Working...' Message - Can it be simulated?

From: Michael Kustermann <iadt3mk_at_prism.gatech.EDU>
Date: 10 Dec 92 20:28:58 GMT

In article <carl.pedersen-101292081911_at_kip-sn-16.dartmouth.edu>, carl.pedersen_at_dartmouth.edu (L. Carl Pedersen) writes:
> In article <1992Dec9.183742.7359_at_cas.org>, kmt26_at_cas.org wrote:
> >
> > In article <77875_at_hydra.gatech.EDU> iadt3mk_at_prism.gatech.EDU (Michael Kustermann) writes:
> > >
> > >So I need a message to come up right away (after the Commit key is pressed)
> > >without requiring the user to press the Enter key to acknowledge.
> > >
> > >Michael.

[stuff deleted]

> > Use the 'synchronize' packaged procedure right after you call message.
> >
> > e.g., message('Working...');
> > synchronize;
> > ---
> >
> > The only problems are if you have multiple calls to 'message' in the
> > same trigger (You will have to acknowledge the first message before the
> > second message shows) and the "Working..." message will not disappear
> > after the trigger is done executing.
> >
> > Kevin Toepke

[stuff deleted]

> Another thing I notice is that kmt26 appears to be using Forms 2.3. I know
> of no solution to this problem in Forms 2.3 - unless it can be done with a
> user exit. So, the first thing to do is to upgrade to forms 3.0. You'll
> be glad you did.

[stuff deleted]

Well, the #exemacro message 'Working...' and #exemacro synchronize works very well in my case.

Yes, indeed I am using Forms2.3 and I whole heartedly agree that is sucks. Tell that Oracle whose Financial Products are written in Forms2.3!!! If you want to make enhancements you need to use 2.3 -period-.

For our development outside the Oracle Finanacials Package we ARE using Forms3.0. It's just that Oracle lags behind their own technology.

Michael.

PS: Thanks, Kevin, for your help. It works well in my form.

--
Michael Kustermann                | Der Vogel kaempft sich aus dem Ei.  Das Ei
Georgia Institute of Technology   | ist die  Welt.   Wer geboren  werden will,