Re: Oracle's 'Working...' Message - Can it be simulated?

From: L. Carl Pedersen <carl.pedersen_at_dartmouth.edu>
Date: 10 Dec 92 13:26:03 GMT

In article <1992Dec9.183742.7359_at_cas.org>, kmt26_at_cas.org wrote:

> In article <77875_at_hydra.gatech.EDU> iadt3mk_at_prism.gatech.EDU (Michael Kustermann) writes:
> >Has anyone ever tried to simulate the Oracle message 'Working...' which
> >is automatically displayed when committing a transaction (on a form)?
> >
> >I have a form that will update several thousand rows and I had to
> >customize the update in the Commit trigger. The problem is that now, the
> >user will not get a 'Working...' message but that the form looks "hung up"
> >until this transaction is completed which may take a while.
> >
> >Furthermore, putting the #EXEMACRO MESSAGE 'Working'; in, say, a pre-commit
> >trigger will not immediately display this message and will require the user
> >the acknowledge it once it is displayed.
> >
> >So I need a message to come up right away (after the Commit key is pressed)
> >without requiring the user to press the Enter key to acknowledge.
> >
> >Thank you for suggestions.
> >
> >Michael.
>
> Use the 'synchronize' packaged procedure right after you call message.
>
> e.g., message('Working...');
> synchronize;
> ---
>
> The only problems are if you have multiple calls to 'message' in the
> same trigger (You will have to acknowledge the first message before the
> second message shows) and the "Working..." message will not disappear
> after the trigger is done executing.
>

> >--
> >Michael Kustermann | Der Vogel kaempft sich aus dem Ei.
> >Georgia Institute of Tech.| Das Ei ist die Welt.
> >Atlanta, GA 30332 | Wer geboren werden will muss eine Welt zerstoeren.
> >iadt3mk_at_prism.gatech.edu | Der Vogel fliegt zu Gott. Gott ist Abraxas.
>
> Kevin Toepke

This is NOT a good solution, since it will require the user to press a key to get rid of the message. This should be on a FAQ list. It keeps coming up.

Another thing I notice is that kmt26 appears to be using Forms 2.3. I know of no solution to this problem in Forms 2.3 - unless it can be done with a user exit. So, the first thing to do is to upgrade to forms 3.0. You'll be glad you did.

Even in 3.0, the nicest solution is not all that nice: Use a pop-up page that covers the message line. Put your working message on that page - as boilerplate - or a field - whatever. The use SHOW_PAGE and HIDE_PAGE to make it appear and disappear - along with SYNCHRONIZE. Send me email if you can't get this to work. Received on Thu Dec 10 1992 - 14:26:03 CET

Original text of this message