Re: Oracle's 'Working...' Message - Can it be simulated?

From: <kmt26_at_cas.org>
Date: 9 Dec 92 18:37:42 GMT

In article <77875_at_hydra.gatech.EDU> iadt3mk_at_prism.gatech.EDU (Michael Kustermann) writes:
>Has anyone ever tried to simulate the Oracle message 'Working...' which
>is automatically displayed when committing a transaction (on a form)?
>
>I have a form that will update several thousand rows and I had to
>customize the update in the Commit trigger. The problem is that now, the
>user will not get a 'Working...' message but that the form looks "hung up"
>until this transaction is completed which may take a while.
>
>Furthermore, putting the #EXEMACRO MESSAGE 'Working'; in, say, a pre-commit
>trigger will not immediately display this message and will require the user
>the acknowledge it once it is displayed.
>
>So I need a message to come up right away (after the Commit key is pressed)
>without requiring the user to press the Enter key to acknowledge.
>
>Thank you for suggestions.
>
>Michael.

Use the 'synchronize' packaged procedure right after you call message.

e.g., message('Working...');

      synchronize;
      ---

The only problems are if you have multiple calls to 'message' in the same trigger (You will have to acknowledge the first message before the second message shows) and the "Working..." message will not disappear after the trigger is done executing.

>--

>Michael Kustermann | Der Vogel kaempft sich aus dem Ei.
>Georgia Institute of Tech.| Das Ei ist die Welt.
>Atlanta, GA 30332 | Wer geboren werden will muss eine Welt zerstoeren.
>iadt3mk_at_prism.gatech.edu | Der Vogel fliegt zu Gott. Gott ist Abraxas.

Kevin Toepke Received on Wed Dec 09 1992 - 19:37:42 CET

Original text of this message