ORACLE memory usage per user

From: Guy Harrison <guy_at_silver.spear.apana.org.au>
Date: 10 Dec 1992 09:44:47 +1100

I'm seeking rules of thumb for estimating memory requirements per ORACLE user on various platforms.

Under VMS, I used to estimate about 1-1.5 MB per user.

Under UNIX, a figure of 2.5-3 MB seemed more appropriate.

Some other sites at the organization where I am contracting are using estimates of 1 MB or less.

Would anyone like to provide:

  1. Their estimate of memory usage per user (I'm specifically interested in UNIX platforms, but would also be curious about other ports, eg MVS, VMS, etc.
  2. How they would go about determining average usage? Note: using ps to determine actual memory usage may not account for shared text segments.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Guy Harrison
Syncronous Software P/L Received on Wed Dec 09 1992 - 23:44:47 CET

Original text of this message