Re: Moving a dbf file into an ORACLE database.

From: Ladislav Berkovich <ladislav_at_burton.cs.ucla.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 92 16:38:05 GMT

In article <1992Dec8.211151.5346_at_esrican.uucp>, ladak_at_esrican.uucp (Alnoor Ladak) writes:

|> Next we tried to startup ORACLE from SQLDBA as follows:
|>
|> STARTUP NOMOUNT
|>
|> CONNECT INTERNAL
|>
|> ALTER DATABASE sparc_1_db_file MOUNT
 You can also try just STARTUP -- that will do it.

|> The first two commands went through. However the third failed with the
|> following ORACLE errors:
|>
|> ORA-01115 and ORA-07373 (this one's not listed in the error codes book)
At UNIX prompt type:
oerr ora 1115
oerr - is ORACLE error messages facility, it includes all the possible error messages.

|> Is there anything I'm missing or could try ??
The error messages indicate that you have trouble reading those files. The ?? that I have is:
What was the old DATABASE name in your SPARC 1 database, or what was the setting of ORACLE_SID env variable? Is it the same as your SPARC 2 database ?? If they are the same, then like somebody on the net said: you are palying russian rulet with a fully loaded gun. It is very difficult (I'd say impossible) to add a data file to the database the way you are trying to do. If they are different -- you can try doing it this way. The clean way, of course, is to use IMP and EXP utilities.

|> Thanks in advance for responses to aladak_at_esri.com
|> --
|> Alnoor Ladak (email aladak_at_esri.com) || Get a life !!
|> ESRI Canada || You're not getting any cheap thrills
|> 49 Gervais Dr. || from my .sig !
|> Don Mills, Ont. M3C 1Y9 ||

--
			Ladislav --- ladislav_at_cs.ucla.edu