Moving a dbf file into an ORACLE database.

From: Alnoor Ladak <ladak_at_esrican.uucp>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1992 21:11:51 GMT

We were running ORACLE on a SUN SPARC 1. One of the guys did a dump of the whole oracle file structure - the software and the database. We now have the same version of ORACLE running on a SPARC 2 with its own database.

Problem is we need the data from the old (SPARC 1) database. We tried restoring the tape to another disk and then shut down ORACLE. We then copied ../dbs/*.dbf files to the current dbs directory where ORACLE looks for the control and database files.

Next we tried to startup ORACLE from SQLDBA as follows:

STARTUP NOMOUNT CONNECT INTERNAL ALTER DATABASE sparc_1_db_file MOUNT

The first two commands went through. However the third failed with the following ORACLE errors:

ORA-01115 and ORA-07373 (this one's not listed in the error codes book)

Is there anything I'm missing or could try ??

Thanks in advance for responses to aladak_at_esri.com

--
Alnoor Ladak (email aladak_at_esri.com) || Get a life !!
ESRI Canada                          || You're not getting any cheap thrills