Re: Oracle SQLPLUS Matrix report question

From: Jack Love <jlove_at_ivrit.ra.itd.umich.edu>
Date: 8 Dec 1992 21:17:47 GMT

In article 40960_at_arctic.nprdc.navy.mil, vhall_at_nprdc.navy.mil (Valerie Hall) writes:
> I'am needing to produce a matrix report against Oracle tables using
> SQLPLUS. Can it be done? If so, can you show me some coding
> of how it is done? Thanks in advance.... Valerie.

I fully agree with other replies I have seen to this question, especially as to the recommendation to use other reporting products. Nevertheless, there are often circumstances where SQL*Plus is a good solution, and I am always astounded by the ingenuity with which some programmers are able to get results out of that product.

For an intriguing introduction to things you never thought you could do with SQL*Plus, check out George Koch, Oracle the Complete Reference (Osborne McGraw-Hill), Chapter 12, "Building a Report in SQLPLUS". This chapter covers a number of undocumented or poorly documented commands which can be *very* useful.

Jack F. Love Received on Tue Dec 08 1992 - 22:17:47 CET

Original text of this message