Re: Oracle 7 and heterogeneous distributed databases

From: Richard D Holowczak <holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu>
Date: 6 Dec 92 23:16:11 GMT

thompson_at_stars.gsfc.nasa.gov (William Thompson, code 682.1, x2040) writes:

>>I was reading some Oracle 7 propaganda (well, the notes from a course
>>on oracle 7 somebody here took), and saw a few pages discussing
>>"heterogeneous database networks" or some such -- it seems Oracle 7
>>will be able to cooperate with other vendors' databases. Unfortunately,
>>these notes are basically copies of overheads, and so contain very
>>little information. Could anyone suggest where I might find further
>>documentation or information? (Our regular Oracle 7 docs haven't
>>arrived yet, and besides I suspect this is a bit esoteric to be in
>>the usual set.)

>I'm not using Oracle, but I have been looking around at databases lately. The
>story I got from the Oracle rep was that Oracle does allow to connect to
>certain other *mainframe* databases, e.g. DB2, RDB, etc. They do *not* however
>connect to another of their SQL competitors, i.e. Ingres, Sybase, Informix,
>etc., which is the only kind of connectivity we're interested in. It may be
>that they do starting with version 7, and the word hasn't gotten down to the
>sales reps yet, but I doubt it. Oracle seems to have a very Krushevian "we
>will bury you" attitude towards the rest of the SQL market.

>Bill Thompson

         It seems that Sybase will support this type of connectivity to other
         vendor's databases.  It will be interesting to see how well this
         works (i.e. distributed 2PC, recovery, termination, etc.).

         Perhaps Oracle should take note.  Now-a-days you have to be "open"
         to other systems if you want to be taken seriously. The days of
         the single vendor shop are definitely over.

         My $.02

  Rich Holowczak
  Rutgers University Received on Mon Dec 07 1992 - 00:16:11 CET

Original text of this message