Re: Oracle 7 and heterogeneous distributed databases

From: William Thompson, code 682.1, x2040 <thompson_at_stars.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1992 20:37:00 GMT

In article <1992Dec4.174644.1_at_vxcrna.cern.ch>, roeber_at_cern.ch writes...
>I was reading some Oracle 7 propaganda (well, the notes from a course
>on oracle 7 somebody here took), and saw a few pages discussing
>"heterogeneous database networks" or some such -- it seems Oracle 7
>will be able to cooperate with other vendors' databases. Unfortunately,
>these notes are basically copies of overheads, and so contain very
>little information. Could anyone suggest where I might find further
>documentation or information? (Our regular Oracle 7 docs haven't
>arrived yet, and besides I suspect this is a bit esoteric to be in
>the usual set.)

I'm not using Oracle, but I have been looking around at databases lately. The story I got from the Oracle rep was that Oracle does allow to connect to certain other *mainframe* databases, e.g. DB2, RDB, etc. They do *not* however connect to another of their SQL competitors, i.e. Ingres, Sybase, Informix, etc., which is the only kind of connectivity we're interested in. It may be that they do starting with version 7, and the word hasn't gotten down to the sales reps yet, but I doubt it. Oracle seems to have a very Krushevian "we will bury you" attitude towards the rest of the SQL market.

Bill Thompson

(Note: These are my own opinions only, and no-one else's.) Received on Fri Dec 04 1992 - 21:37:00 CET

Original text of this message