RE: QUESTION: Changing the owner of a table

From: <pihlab_at_hhcs.gov.au>
Date: 4 Dec 92 09:02:36 +1100

In article <1992Dec1.190822.16308_at_deepthought.uucp>, neil_at_ms.uky.edu (Neil Greene) writes:
> I have about 10 tables I would like to change the owner from sys to
> someone_else. What is the best procedure for doing this and are there any
> pitfalls I may not forsee in doing this??

I hope these tables aren't part of the data dictionary or you could damage your database.

I assume they just eneded up belonging to SYS by mistake so...

The easiest way would be to ZAP the data dictionary to simply change the owner BUT that is like playing russian roulette with all the chambers loaded AND is not recommended even if you have a bullet proof head 8-}.

Try doing:

  • EXPort the 10 tables,
  • DROP the 10 tables,
  • IMPort the 10 tables under a different user.

If you have the space then only DROP the tables _after_ you have IMPorted the new ones. If you don't have the space then make sure your EXPort is useable before DROPing the tables. Always err on the side of paranoia.

EXP/IMP runs reasonably fast and the fewer and simpler the steps the less chance of a mishap.

Good luck.

--

Bruce...        pihlab_at_hhcs.gov.au

"If you eat a live frog first thing in the morning ...
 Nothing worse will happen to you or the frog for the rest of the day"

* Bruce Pihlamae  --  Database Administration                     *
* Commonwealth Department of Health, Housing & Community Services *
* Canberra, Australia                             (W) 06-289-7056 *
* These are my own thoughts and opinions, few that I have.        *