Re: Oracle for Novell : How much memory recommended ?

From: Richard Holowczak <holowczk_at_rwja.umdnj.edu>
Date: 1 Dec 92 20:31:23 GMT

ernst_at_opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Ernst Kloecker) writes:

>Hallo,

>we will be running Oracle on a Novell file server, where the medium size
>database as well as the file server are supposed to respond to client
>requests with only a short delay. How much RAM should we put into the
>server or does it make any difference ?

>Thanks for any info, Ernst.
>--

>Ernst Kloecker phone: ++49-30-6181635 e-mail: ernst_at_cs.tu-berlin.de

I am ordering a new server for the same purposes. I have broken the memory requirements down as follows:

  • Oracle Server SW 8 Megs
  • Each Oracle User 1 Meg (Oracle says 512K is enough but I disagree)
  • Novell Netware 3.11 8 Megs + room for disk cache (see Novell docs).

We are planning on 8 users so our machine will have 32 Megs of RAM in it just to be on the safe side. We are also running some backup SW and LAN monitoring SW as Netware NLMs.

The biggest debate seems to be over the quantity of memory per user. Oracle says that 512K per user is enough but most people say 1 Meg is a better estimate. It's true, Oracle is a pig on memory and resources.

Hope this helps.

Rich H.
Rutgers University Received on Tue Dec 01 1992 - 21:31:23 CET

Original text of this message