Table Design Hint needed

From: Scott Unrein <scott.unrein_at_dwarp.sccsi.com>
Date: 25 Nov 92 22:58:00 GMT

IRM>One table is "businesses" and key fields is business ID.
IRM>Other is "directors" and key is dir. ID.
IRM>A business can have more than one directors and a director can control more
IRM>than one business.
IRM>Both table have to be linked so that all directors for a given business or
IRM>all businesses under given director could be listed.
IRM>Could someone please help me out here with some hints...

Ijaz, it's late so this may not make to much sense, but it sounds like you need an intersection table. If I'm understanding your requirements, there is a many-to-many relationship between your tables. An intersection table will allow you to resolve the redundancy. Simply create another table with the Directors' key as one column and the Business key as the other. As the table is established purely to associate these keys, (it has no additional columns), it is not redundant in any way. PostScript: Richard Barker's book CASE*Method Entity Relationship Modelling (page 7-6) is an excellent guide! And whaddya know? Richard happens to be an officer of Oracle (U.K.).

Sample:

Businesses                        Directors

ID Name                           ID Name
01|Toy's R Gud                    99|Bob Thorn
02|Beppis Iguanas                 98|J.D. Salinger
03|Guido Inc.                     01|Hunter S. Thompson

             Businesses/Directors          <<< Intersection Table
             Business ID Director ID
             01         |99
             01         |98
             01         |01
             02         |99
             02         |01
---
 . SLMR 2.1a . .....C:\DOS   C:\DOS\RUN   RUN\DOS\RUN....