Copying LONGs Between Tables

From: Michael J. Harper <mharper_at_well.sf.ca.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1992 15:51:06 GMT

I need to copy the contents of a table into another table. Sounds easy, right? Well, my problem is that one of the columns in the source table is bound to be a LONG or LONG RAW, and the following syntax:

	INSERT INTO NEWTAB
	SELECT COL_A, COL_B, COL_LONG
	FROM OLDTAB

fails with the error message:

        ORA-00997: illegal use of LONG datatype

Since I need to use SQL to do this, does anyone know of any workaround? (COPY won't work because it seems to be a SQL*Plus thing.)

--
Michael J. Harper
mharper_at_well.sf.ca.us