Validating data imported from text files.

From: William Thompson, code 682.1, x2040 <thompson_at_stars.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1992 21:19:00 GMT

I was just told something startling. In an E-mail message from Myron China <mryo_at_ind_maroon.gwl.com>, I was told

   problem with flat file xfers is verifying successful completions of both    the dump and the import. oracle products, for instance, always signal    a 0 return code whether or not it had a problem. so you end up spooling    log files and checking them for errors yourself. we also check file    record layouts for validity before anything goes through.

That's an astonishing statement to me! Our current plan calls for *ALL* data imported into the database to come from flat ASCII files generated by other programs. Populating the database is supposed to be an automatic process that works unattended. Problems are supposed to be signalled when they occur.

Is this the same with the other major SQL databases: Ingres, Sybase, Informix?

Bill Thompson Received on Wed Nov 18 1992 - 22:19:00 CET

Original text of this message