Platforms for Oracle

From: David Mason <vid_at_zooid.guild.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1992 17:06:35 GMT

I'm not sure where to post this. It's sort of a general question, I'm looking for people's thoughts and experiences.

Currently our organization is using a proprietary NCR minicomputer on which a large number of accounting-related COBOL programs are running. In the next year or two we will be switching over to a new system.

The focus of the system will be two or three different UNIX based servers, one used for the accounting system, one as a database server, and one for other uses. These systems will be accessed from users who are on PC workstations using Ethernet, tied together with Novell LANs.

The main problem is the accounting system. Right now two systems are being considered, a system from a company called Coda, which sounds good but it only runs on DEC's Vax/VMS, and an accounting system from Oracle. For various reasons we are leaning towards the Oracle system since it will run on many platforms including SVR4.

Oracle recommended four hardware vendors for us to consider: the high end is Sequent and Pyramid at over $100,000, and the low end is Sun and HP, both at around $60,000.

What I'm wondering is if there are less expensive, less proprietary (in my mind at least) systems (IE Intel '486 architecture that we've had more experience with) that would run these accounting systems as well or better. Does anyone have any experience with running Oracle, particularly their accounting system, on a platform such as an EISA multiprocessor SCO system, Compaq Systempro, ALR, or whatever? I've been hearing a lot of good things about a system from Altos but don't know any details. We're looking for a hardware vendor with better pricing, more open architecture, and a non-mainframe sales philosophy. Also one that has had a lot of experience with this type of system, this Oracle accounting system and UNIX SVR4 in particular. Does anyone have any suggestions? It would have to be a dealer that could support us in Toronto, Canada so we'd be looking for something local.

Thanks for any (polite) suggestions.

--
vid_at_zooid.guild.org             -->> ZOOiD Public Access Usenet 416 322-7876