PL/SQL Tables in Stored Procs

From: Hans Bergsten 6264 <ebuhob_at_ebu.ericsson.se>
Date: 18 Nov 92 01:42:02 GMT

I am trying to use all the new great PL/SQL features in ORACLE7 (Developer's Release, V7.0.10.3.1) in an applicationon the SunOS 4.1 platform. As long as I stick to a limited use of the features (calling a few local functions/procedures within one package, using simple data types etc.) it works great.

But I run into problems when I get a little bit more fancy, like calling functions/procedures in one package from another package in a few levels, using public variables as "global variables" to preserve values throughout a session, using PL/SQL tables and records etc. I have experienced some really strange behaviour, like:

     TYPE IntTabType	IS TABLE OF BINARY_INTEGER INDEX BY BINARY_INTEGER;
     int_tab		IntTabType;
     int_index		BINARY_INTEGER;

   If I try to initiate these variables from SQL*Plus, I get the following    results:

     SQL> begin test.intab(1) := 0; end;
       2  /
     begin test.intab(1) := 0; end;
     *
     ERROR at line 1:
     ORA-06501: PL/SQL: internal error 75946, arguments: [], [], [], [], [], [], []

     SQL> begin test.i := 0; end;
       2  /

   i.e. it works fine to initiate the BINARY_INTEGER but not the PL/SQL Table.

In general, I get a feeling that the PL/SQL package is very flaky. Considering that this is V7.0.10 (and the rumor has it that V7.0.12 will be the last "prerelease version") I wonder how stable it will be in the real release.

Does anyone else have similar experiences? Have you heard if ORACLE are aware of problems in the PL/SQL area? I have not seen anything in the README files about it.

Regards,
Hans

Hans Bergsten                 	     Internet : ebuhob_at_ebu.ericsson.se
Ericsson Business Communications     MEMO     : ERI.EBU.EBUHOB (God forbid.)
525 N. Muller St.                    Voice    : +1 (714) 491-6264
Anaheim, CA 92803, USA               FAX      : +1 (714) 535-1789