Re: Excel 4.0, DAL and Oracle databases

From: Stephen Schow <sjs_at_netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1992 19:56:45 GMT

Steve,

To my understanding, DAL requires that you purchase and install a DAL server on your host. According to sources that I have tapped into at Oracle and at the IOUG conference in S.F., DAL is actually a poor performer because it has to go through an additional layer after SQL*NET. In other words, you would have Excel->DAL->Dal(Host)->SQL*NET->oracle........or something like that. The SQL*NET layer is actually a bunch of lower layers piled up.

Anyhow, I would look into some other products if I were you. There are 2 other ways to get data from Oracle into Excel on the Mac. We have not tested either of them yet, but I have already ordered the later of the two for testing. They are called 'Second Wind' and 'Clear Access'. Clear Access looks to be far superior to Second Wind. Clear Access comes with a DA that will let you suck oracle data into ANY macintosh application via the clipboard. It also provides 12 functions that are callable from an Excel Macro. (It actually provides these programming hooks for many different macintosh applications that support some sort of scripting or macro language). If you are familiar with Excel macros at all, then you will know that it is possible to create Excel Add-in's that are basically macros. Items can be installed into the menu bar and so forth. Clear Access itself has its own scripting language, and provides a GREAT DEAL of flexibility. I was very impressed by this product at the IOUG conference. 95% of the mac-based demonstrators there were using Clear Access to bring data from Oracle into their application. Its performance is very superior to DAL because it uses SQL*NET directly, without the need for the DAL server software on the host, although it does require SQL*NET on each mac. They are also working on some new software that will include a full fledged Oracle ReportWriter(GUI). One last thing, they have both Mac AND Windows versions and they look and feel and program and configure the same!!!!

If I were you I would at least check it out. They have a fully functional demo version(it doesn't go to oracle, but rather to a local mac database that they provide) that will show you what you can do and let you play with it. Give them a call (515) 472-7077. Let me know how it comes out as we are also trying to evaluate mac based client packages.

We are attempting to make the slow transition to client/server. Have you had any experiences with other Mac-based software that taps into Oracle?

Good luck!

PS -

Second Wind just gives you access to Oracle through Excel. It is much less flexible than Clear Access. It is also a smaller opertation. I got the sense that it was a couple of guys working out of their home. However, it was still reccomended over DAL because it goes straight through SQL*NET like Clear Access does.

Steve Schow | But you don't have to use the claw, if you sjs_at_netcom.com | pick the pear with the big paw paw...... | Have I given you a clue......? | - Baloo the Bear