High-vol admin sites

From: Clark H. Wilson <c-wilson_at_uchicago.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1992 22:21:42 GMT

We're researching the feasibility and wisdom of replacing our major administrative systems (independent of each other & running on the mainframe) with an integrated set of systems based on Oracle, running on Unix boxes.

I've been asked to focus on the overall performance issues involved - specifically, to find, talk with, and even visit sites running loads and transaction mixes roughly like or more challenging than those we anticipate. Let's say 800 to 1500 simultaneous users, doing what the Interbase folk are fond of calling "online complex transaction processing" - i.e., mixed inquiries and updates with complex transactions that vary widely (as opposed to high transaction volumes that are predominantly inquiries or that consist of nearly identical transactions). As I said, I'm interested in Oracle running under Unix, on any hardware configuration, any architecture (unified, distributed, whatever).

If you are at or know of such a site I'd appreciate email or a phone call from you. If you send me a phone number I can then call you on our nickel. Unless you explicitly say it's okay I won't give your name or other identifying info to anyone else.

Or, if your site tried to do this but the attempt crashed and burned, I'd very much like to talk with you!

If you know of recent articles, consulting group reports available for purchase, etc., I would also be interested in those; but my primary goal is to talk directly with, and perhaps visit, actual sites.

The best email address to use is the one in the signature, below.

Clark Wilson
Manager, Administrative Information Systems Consulting University of Chicago
312/702-8871
c-wilson_at_uchicago.edu Received on Mon Nov 16 1992 - 23:21:42 CET

Original text of this message