Re: Manipulating an ORACLE database on HP-9000 from a Macintosh

From: Mathew L. Spolin <mspolin_at_cyber.hughes.american.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1992 22:34:41 GMT

In article <2436_at_cix.cict.fr> Groupe SUPAERO, dalet_at_reseau.Berkeley.EDU writes:
> I'm a french engineer working in an engineering school.
> We have an ORACLE database v 6.0 (soon v 7.0) on HP-9000 serie 850.
> We plan to develop an application of student's management (name,
>address, marks, ...)
> running on a macintosh and manipulating the HP ORACLE database.
>
> The students management is divided in 2 parts :
>
> - Updating the database with input screens from the Macintosh.
>
> - Querying the database to produce reports or data about student's
>results with
> the possibility of processing those data with software like
>excel,word,etc ...
>

> Could you tell me what sorts of softwares i need to do such an
>application ? (for each part)

Practically any of the "card" based authoring systems would work, including Hypercard,
SuperCard, and Oracle Card (which also works under Windows). You pass SQL to the
Oracle database by way of an XCMD which sends the command through SQL*NET.

Other options are the Macintosh database programs like 4th DIMENSION, Omnis 7, and
Double Helix. These are relational database systems that can be modified to use
SQL, although they weren't written for the job.

Based on my experience with Oracle Corp. and the federal government, I would recommend
using Oracle Card.

---Matt Spolin

   Washington, D.C. Received on Mon Nov 16 1992 - 23:34:41 CET

Original text of this message