Re: DB Comparison - DISAPPOINTING RESULTS

From: Geoff Miller <ghm_at_sserve.cc.adfa.oz.au>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1992 00:07:57 GMT

hans_at_iris.mincom.oz.au (Hans Plambeck) writes:

>Understandable, because this question pops up every few weeks/months or so.
>I responded twice, but never a summary got posted.
>Jun92 Ed.Steinman@.... was collecting Oracle/Ingres comparisions, maybe
>he is in a position to post one. (The address is on purpose truncated)

>Should be really some sort of regular posting, maybe even part of a FAQ.

I suggest that part of the reason for the poor response is that these kind of comparisons are very difficult. Unless you actually have applications developed by people with the same level of expertise in each product to satisfy the same user requirements, you don't have a valid basis for comparison, and even then all you can really compare is the suitability of a particular product for that application. Equally, comparing things such as vendor support is almost impossible, because it is so difficult to set up a valid comparison.

The comments of enthusiasts for different products do not provide a valid basis for comparison.

Geoff Miller (g-miller_at_adfa.oz.au)
Computer Centre, Australian Defence Force Academy Received on Thu Nov 12 1992 - 18:07:57 CST