Case Studies of Distributed Databases in Oracle

From: David Sieh <sieh_at_csn.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1992 03:49:00 GMT

We are starting a project in which we must make a set of databases available to users over a wide area network... We are looking for help/advice in designs/implementations of similar database systems...We are especially interested in case studies.

We are curious about designs/implementations of different architectures such as:
1. Centralized database servers that users log into to run their

   applications...
2. Truly distributed databases...i.e. data distributed amoung several

   database severs with no redundant data....has the appearance of    a single database....
3. Distributed databases with redundant data stored at some sites...

   ...strategies for keeping databases consistent and strategies    for updating each db...
4. Other????

To give a few more specific characteristics of the system we are working with:

  • We will probably be using Oracle
  • A wide area network is already installed
  • All machines over the network "talk" TCP/IP
  • There is a near real-time data collection/distribution component (i.e. data collected about once an hour needs to be made available to users over the network)
  • Most of the data queries need to be through interactive data communications...i.e. not batch transfer of files or media transfer...

Thanks -

David Sieh
sieh_at_cadswes.colorado.edu Received on Thu Nov 12 1992 - 04:49:00 CET

Original text of this message