*** WANTED: Testing Tools for HyperCard/ORACLE Environment ***

From: Javier H. Seen <javier_at_cs.utexas.edu>
Date: 8 Nov 1992 01:25:10 -0600

Hi, World Netters:

My Testing and Evaluation team is planning to do some serious testing on the following software design and implementation products:

  • Design and functional specifications
  • HyperCard high-level interface script code
  • ORACLE Access database command code (on ORACLE v2.0) (this is a new replacement of Hyper*SQL on ORACLE v1.1.1)

For those still unfamiliar with the kind of programming environment in which we are working, we are writing a database application on ORACLE for the Macintosh, using the HyperTalk script language as the interface to ORACLE Access, an internal interface language between HyperTalk and SQL (most likely invoked using the "execsql" command, if I'm not wrong).

I wonder if there are any particular commercial testing tools suitable for our needs, or otherwise simple, ftp'able shareware tools. Some of the automated products we'd like to try to aid us in our excruciating tasks are:

  • capture/replay tool (something better than MacroMaker?)
  • automatic flowgraph generator and analyzer (to check control- and data-flow diagrams)
  • automatic/random data generator
  • coverage certifier/monitor
    • finite state machine (FSM) test tool
  • any test design automation tool, functional generator, etc.
  • general report generator (though we can live with FileMaker Pro to produce, say, bug reports)

Notice that the tools above must be compatible with the programming environment described above. I have also heard of integrated testing tools out there in the market, which is perfectly acceptable.

I appreciate any references or direct contacts to order some of the tools desribed above. At least the quality of such tools have to be "decent" by software standards.

Please reply to me via e-mail. Thanks again for any feedback.

--Javier H. Seen
  javier_at_cs.utexas.edu

Javier H. Seen, TA,   CS Dept, UT-Austin, TX 78712    <javier_at_cs.utexas.edu>
(O)471-9709, (H)473-2361     | "I wanna be like Mike" (Mike Burton, that is)
Office: PAI 5.68, M-S 18h-5h | "Why do .signature files hafta be SO short?"