Re: Oracle delta

From: David Bath <dtb_at_otto>
Date: 6 Nov 92 07:14:38 GMT

sstephen_at_us.oracle.com writes:

>In article <1992Oct28.172223.11805_at_aio.jsc.nasa.gov>, russell_at_gothamcity.uucp (Russell Sellers [GHG]) writes:
>>
>> I have a question about the way oracle keeps track of the transactions
>> that occurr during the day. I know that if I do a transaction then I can roll
>> it back as long as a commit wasn't performed. Is there something like this
>> that would allow me to rollback everything that occured during a say.
>> What I am trying to find out is there some way to keep track of database
>> delta's for each day. If there is can this file be parsed by a different
>> program to produce some type of summary report.
>--
>What you would need to do this is a "redo log/archive file parser". Such a
>utility is not avaialable to the public, (although I'm sure the developers
>should have written one). Since the information in those files would reveal a
>lot about Oracle's internal secrets as well as invalidate all database
>security, I doubt such a utility will ever exist in the near future.

Well folks, I know that Ingres had a similar facility that listed transaction numbers, times, table, rowid (called a tid in ingres) and even before and after values !

This was using Ingres v5 under VMS back in late 1987.

This let you then decide to roll back to a specific time or transaction number.

What about it, Oracle ?

--
David T. Bath
email: 	dtb_at_otto.bf.rmit.oz.au