Anyone Else Having Major Problems with SQL*Menu Core Dumping?

From: scott.d.brenner <sbrenner_at_cbnewsb.cb.att.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1992 16:56:35 GMT

I'm running SQL*Menu 5.0.11.3.1 on a 386 box with Interactive UNIX System 5, Release 4.0, Version 3.0. My RDBMS is 6.0.33.1.2. I'm having a lot of problems with sql*menu core dumping. The main problem is that runmenu50 core dumps when I hit the [Exit] key (I'm running a vt100 emulation and have no problems with SQL*Forms). It also dumps if I hit the [Application Menu] key.

The technical support people seem to be clueless. They just keep chanting their mantra "you should upgrade." I'm getting a little tired of this attitude of dealing with buggy versions of their products by telling their customers just to upgrade. It's often inconvenient, difficult, or impossible for us to upgrade. Many times installing a newer version of something to solve one problem introduces five new problems.

Has anyone else run into difficulties with SQL*Menu? If so, do you have any hints or tips that would be useful?

While I'm waiting (over a day, now) for Oracle technical support to figure out what's wrong, I'm turning to the net for help. People here often seem to know their products and problems better than Oracle does.

a T d H v A a N n K c S e

Scott D. Brenner
AT&T Consumer Communications Services
Basking Ridge, NJ