How to validate username and password ?

From: Tapio Luukkanen <vtl_at_tik.vtt.fi>
Date: 5 Nov 92 15:59:32

We are developing a menu5.0 + forms3.0 application, where we have our own logon screen, accessed via a 'dummy/dummy' user. The logon form builds some form-global variables from Unix environment (via user exits), and returns, among others, :global.user and :global.passwd to the calling menu.

In menu, I tried to use "new_user(:global.user || '/' || :global.passwd)" and then check for ERROR_TYPE or ERROR_CODE to see if I need to call "new_user('dummy/dummy')" again. But, it appears that a failing "new_user" puts the menu in LOGIN state, where er, "things don't quite work".

The solution I see (and know how to do, maybe the day-after-tomorrow) is to call an user exit from the logon form, which tries 'EXEC SQL CONNECT :username' and checks for failure.

I vaguely recall reading about some other way to do this validation, by applying some internal function to the password (& user), a function, which returned true or false (or something else), if it was a valid password.

So, is there a solution without using an user-exit ?

    Tapio

--

! tapio luukkanen ! vtl_at_hemuli.tik.vtt.fi (130.188.52.2)
! home (358-0) 811 211 ! work 456 6056