Re: oodb <-> rdb

From: Nelson Baird <cnb_at_cnbisis.lerctr.org>
Date: 3 Nov 92 03:51:41 GMT

In <BwsoA4.LHz_at_brunel.ac.uk> Dulan.Weerasinha_at_brunel.ac.uk (Dulan Weerasinha) writes:
>Hi Folks,

>I am in the process of looking into the possibility of translating
>Object-Oriented concepts to Relational concepts.

The basic problem that RDB's and OODB's are trying to solve are quite different.

See for example the book "Object-Oriented Analysis & Design" by Martin & Odell Printice Hall series.

The two DB concepts take very different views of what needs to be optimized.

What would you want to give up in moving from OODB to relational? Encapsulation maybe. Maybe you would like to give up the public rows and format of Relational?

Kinda sick, huh?

--
 Thanks,
 C. Nelson Baird