Re: How to insert null columns in a view?

From: <hatzinger_m_at_bmwf1f.bmwf.gv.at>
Date: 28 Oct 92 17:29:08 GMT

In article <1992Oct27.212317.572_at_netcom.com>, sjs_at_netcom.com (Stephen Schow) writes:
> I need to create a view that has various columns from several tables
> as well as a few columns with nothing but null values in them. If I use
> an alias, I can name these null columns and I can put the literal value
> of null into them, but what if I want a particular column to be
> a char(10) column with nothing but nulls?
>
> Any help?
>
> I figured a work around by just selecting from a dummy table that has
> just one record with a char(10) column containing null. But I would rather
> not have to select from a table.

CREATE VIEW test AS
SELECT SUBSTR(REPLACE(' ',' ',NULL),1,10) NULL_FELD10   FROM dual
/

DESC test

Name                        Null?      Type
--------------------------- ---------- ----
NULL_FELD10                            CHAR(10)

kind regards

Mike

                                                                          ^
 Federal Ministry of Science and Research                               B | M
 Computer Center                                                        W | F

 Klaus-Michael Hatzinger            mail: hatzinger_m_at_bmwf1f.bmwf.gv.at   |
 Bankgasse 1/209                   phone: 0043-222-53120/5188             |
 1014 Vienna, Austria                fax: 0043-222-53120/5155             V