Re: FOLLOWUP: Sun SS10 model 30 Performance

From: Greg Limes <limes_at_ouroborous.eng.sun.com>
Date: 27 Oct 92 12:27:26

In article <bartho.37.720110999_at_cc.und.ac.za> bartho_at_cc.und.ac.za (Ray Bartho) writes:
| While this improved matters (dropped d/b import time from 5 to 3.5 hrs), it
| is still not as good as its competitors. Further evaluation shows that the
| disk is operation at about 90 percent utilisation and showing an effective
| transfer of about 340 KBytes per second (up from approx 260) during the
| import.

Sounds like you're spending most of your time seeking back and forth across the disk. Like, about 90% of your time. Ick.

| As regards DBE (DataBase Excelerator), a copy was obtained, but was only
| valid for SunOS 4.1.2. The SS10 can only run 4.1.3 and there is apparently
| no release planned until Solaris 2.0 is released for the SS10.

Try contacting your salesman again. DBE *is* being released for 4.1.3; I just nailed one of our experts in the hallway about thrity seconds ago, and the word is that it "should be available by now; if not, then certainly within a couple of weeks".

| From the
| documentation, this appears to provide some improvements, especially if
| using raw partitions for d/b files (something we are not all that
| comfortable with).

This is all buried inside your database server. It should disturb you less than the knowledge that the operating system stores the UFS data directly onto a "raw partition"; Oracle and Sybase and friends are really good at this sort of thing. Received on Tue Oct 27 1992 - 12:27:26 CET

Original text of this message