Re: How long are my LONGs?

From: Scott Tiger <kml_at_cellar.org>
Date: 23 Oct 92 12:46:21 GMT

sstephen_at_us.oracle.com writes:
> Under V6, the only way to detect the length would be to select the column
> into a variable, then check the length field. It is for this very reason tha
> SQL*Forms and SQL*ReportWriter, which use LONG columns, also store the length
> of data in the row when it stores the value.

Actually, Forms does not use LONG fields in the database. I just re-checked my listings of the FORM_ tables and found nary a long. Another obvious place for LONGS, in the HELP table, is also just a series of CHAR columns. Perhaps of Oracle corp used LONGs in its applications, it would better appreciate what a pain they are to use. To calc the length, use the PL/SQL script I posted earlier. Forget about being able to do "create table x as select * from y;". And get used to chaining, which I have found to lead to greatly increased change of database block corruption problems.

                  Something constructive should come here.
                  $dump ora_control1/blocks=(start:1,end:1)
  kml%cellar_at_tredysvr.tredydev.unisys.com - My other account is a Mercedes. Received on Fri Oct 23 1992 - 13:46:21 CET

Original text of this message