Re: Pro*C vs. Oracle Call Interface...

From: <sstephen_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1992 16:55:14 GMT

--

Hello Dave,

   Sounds like you have a dream job in Japan.  I am an OCI rebel, too, (but
then I prefer writing RPT, too).  OCI is still there and will be there for the
foreseeable future.  I believe they have just moved the documentation to
another manual, at about Pro*C 1.2 or 1.3.  The manual also got better,
however, I much prefer reading the documentation in the oci include file.

   Although it is not really SQL standard and always in threat of being
obsoleted by the powers that be, (a fight they are losing), it is still my
favorite.  I like making tight loops re-executing cursors that I parsed a long
time ago, having a unlimited number or source of SQL statements, (I can read
them from a file or the database, for example).  In Oracle 7, there is supposed
to be some statments that allow you to select a LONG column, (up to 4Gig?), in
chunks!  They are always making abbreviated calls that do the work of several
calls, (latest I've seen is a declare-parse-execute in a single call to the
database).  You can't express this in Pro*c without hacking the generated
code.  Just out of general knowledge, when the developers out here write code,
THEY don't even use Pro*C, (except for Financials and CASE products).  They use
an internal API interface that looks very similar to OCI, but includes some
features that arent ready for the general public.  (I've heard of a call that
returns the ROWID on an INSERT!)

   So my advise is to stick with OCI until you are forced to standardize.  Your
old OCI calls should still work, and Oracle Support would be happy to send you
the current list of OCI calls or documentation, (assuming you have support).
Or, you can send me e-mail, and I'll send you some notes.

Scott Stephens				inet:	sstephen.us.oracle.com
Oracle WorldWide Support                Redwood City, California
My own statements, not Oracles -- I do not get paid to post.