Strategies for SQL*RepWrtr version control???

From: Devan F. Dewey <dewey_at_centerline.com>
Date: 16 Oct 1992 12:46:50 GMT

We keep all our .inp and .sql files under source code control. This gives us all the obvious advantages: branch versions, stepping back to old version, etc.

But sql*reportwriter doesn't have the load function that sql*forms30 has. This means you have to dumprep and loadrep all the time which is quite a pain.

Also, .inp files can be loaded under any users un/pw, which is good because we have multiple people developing who prefer to work in there own areas.

Does anyone have shell scripts or other strategies to administrate version control for reports??? We are in a UNIX environment. We are currently saving reportname1, reportname2, not for every verions, but as a primative way of doing branches. Of course this doesn't solve the biggest problems: being able to undo changes that don't work, and keeping a history of changes made.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

-Devan

               Devan F. Dewey | Senior Systems Analyst
          CenterLine Software | dewey_at_centerline.com
            10 Fawcett Street | "Leme esplain - no dere is
          Cambridge, MA 02138 | too much. Leme sum up."
                                       -Inigo Montoya