Re: Oracle Application Standards

From: Andy Finkenstadt <andy_at_homebase.vistachrome.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1992 16:09:00 GMT

stroup_at_grove.ops.lmsc.lockheed.com () writes:
>We've been designing Oracle applications for several years now (under VMS)
>using some informal standards. Now we're about to start up a standards team
>to address issues such as:
> Source Code Management (Forms, SQL scripts, Menus, etc.)
> Naming conventions
> Visual standards for Forms
> Etc, etc, etc....
>I'd appreciate any information on how you control your production
>applications.
> Thanks in advance

Naming standards -- I try to name objects in a consistent fashion. For example, a unique three character prefix for each application in front of each table name. Indexes are named for the object and columns upon which they are based. Constraints are named based on the column/table and function (pk, fk, unique, check, etc). ALL object names are constrained to 18 characters where absolutely possible and to 27 otherwise because of the prefix. NO public synonyms for security reasons, but always named for the table upon which they are based.
ZZ

--
Andrew Finkenstadt       | Vista-Chrome, Inc.   |     NIC Handle: AF136
GEnie Unix Sysop/Manager | The Printing House   |    ...!uunet!rde!andy