Re: Did you use E-R modelling for your database design ?

From: Andy Finkenstadt <andy_at_homebase.vistachrome.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1992 15:37:32 GMT

kortikar_at_mipos2.intel.com (Aniruddha Kortikar) writes:
>Specifically I would be interested in
>1. Did you use E-R modelling for database design project

Yes, many projects.

>2. How big was the result (Approx no of tables 20,50,150 etc)

Some as small as 10, most end up being around 50, and three are at 200+ tables, not including validation lookup tables. Total rows for the 250 table model is around 14 million not including a 28 million "lookup" table. :>

>3. Did you use any software for designing the database. (to generate schema)

Depending on the task we used one of:

   Mac Flow 3.7.3 -- used to partition and have pretty pictures on paper

                     it has no E-R smarts within it.
   TurboCase 2.1 and 3.0 -- another mac product supports    a number of modeling conventions and data dictionary support. No    importation to Oracle directly though.

   Oracle CASE Dictionary 5.0 -- easy to use once you get used to it.    Highly capable and generates all DDL as well as    imports directly into Generators for forms and reports.

>4. Are you aware of any company that has a business of database design ?
> (NOT programming etc but exclusively information modelling and giving
> you generated schema and all the documentation.)

> I do not want to know the products, or product development company
> but the consulting company which uses some of these products and give
> you the design.
>5. did you really benefit from such design efforts ?

>regards,

>Aniruddha Kortikar (kortikar_at_mipos2.intel.com)

>E-mail : kortikar_at_mipos2.intel.com | for every action there is an
>Phone(W): 408 765 5515 | equal and opposite government program.

Andrew Finkenstadt       | Vista-Chrome, Inc.   |     NIC Handle: AF136
GEnie Unix Sysop/Manager | The Printing House   |    ...!uunet!rde!andy
+1 904 222 2639 home     | 1600 Capital Cir SW  |   andy_at_GEnie.geis.com
+1 904 575 0189 work     | Tallahassee FL 32310 |  andy_at_vistachrome.com

     The game of love is never called off on account of darkness.