Re: MS-Windows based tools

From: Chris Claborne <claborne_at_npg-sd.SanDiegoCA.NCR.COM>
Date: 13 Oct 92 16:41:44 GMT

Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
Subject: Re: MS-Windows based tools

In <1992Oct7.055014.18461_at_usl.edu> cdc6586_at_usl.edu (Charbonnet Clement D) writes: [stuff deleted]

>I would like to find some third party tools that will allow me
>to replace SQL*Forms, SQL*Menu, and SQL*ReportWriter with a
>Windows based product. The report capabilities of the tool
>must be able to handle preprinted forms on a laser printer and
>a line printer. I would also prefer a tool that included free
>runtimes, though this is not needed.

>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am currently learning Gupta's SQL Windows, and have written some applications with it.
Our Corp. folks are getting ready to use PowerBuilder to develop some company wide apps. I have also heard of some rather large applications build using powerBuilder. These are the only two that I know of that have a router / interface to Oracle backends.

I am going to COMDEX next month and am going to review Powerbuilder to see if this is the way to go. I like the Gupta product. The object oriented language is great for devellopeing and integrated development environment they give you is one of the best I've seen.

I am not too crazzzzy about their solution for reporting though.

Please let me know about other replys that you get on this as I need to commit to something soon and go for the full training.

                                    ...  __o
                                   ..   -\<,
chris.claborne_at_sandiegoca.ncr.com  ...(_)/(_).                 CI$: 76340.2422