Re: orasrv: server already running: Address already in use

From: Charles Meo <cm_at_ariel.its.unimelb.EDU.AU>
Date: 7 Oct 92 12:23:11 GMT

In <7iy7RB2w165w_at_netlink.cts.com> tumidity_at_netlink.cts.com (Joel Garry) writes:
>If you are on a unix machine, run ipcs to find out what semaphores and
>shared memory areas are being used. Run ipcrm to remove them. Then

You could go further and use ipcs to find the shared memory resources associated with your instance every time you start it up. That way, if something nasty happens, you can immediately know which resources to remove without having to think about it--very helpful if you have lots of instances plus pressure or fatigue.

Of course you would store this valuable info in some sort of log file using methods in keeping with your personal tastes and enthusiasm for this sort of stuff....have fun!

NB I don't know whether the latest releases of oracle do this for you anyway-- I haven't used it for a while. It was certainly a good idea 6 months ago.

Chuck

--
Chuck Meo
Solbourne Computer Australia